Thursday 31 March 2011

Poland



I was in Poland earlier this week researching my new series - the Squad - which is out in May 2012.


The story is set in Poland and Ukraine and is about terrorists, spies, Russians and football. And gas pipelines. It is set just before the EURO 2012 football tournment, which takes place in both countries.


I needed to go to Krakow to find settings for city centre chases, cathedral spying, football training and other things.


There are two football stadia just outside the town. The larger one worked out best as a setting. A stadium. A training pitch (where my characters will train). A mysterious wood right next to it.


Perfect.


***


I won't pretend the trip was a great success. I got a lot of what I needed. But, in the end, I just wanted to get home and be with my family. I'm away a lot in schools all over the UK and, because I could and had no commitments, I cut the trip short.

I'm not the great adventurer I thought I was.

No comments: